Friday, August 23, 2013

Put your hearts up


I have always read in a lot of books, blogs, etc. that your thoughts define your reality. Like, if you think positive, beautiful thoughts about yourself and others, your life will begin to change, too. I always accepted that as a given. I mean, it makes sense. But I never really thought about putting it into practice.

The past couple of weeks, I have really made an effort to be much more positive. Not getting annoyed easily, smiling a lot more, and making the best of the beautiful life I have been blessed with. And I can honestly say, it has worked. I honestly feel so much more love around me and in my heart :) It's a truly wonderful feeling!

And this afternoon, as I was listening to Ariana Grande (love her music!) I really started thinking more about positivity. Her music and her message is all about love - loving and accepting others and yourself, and just being a beacon of positivity and happiness :)

This gets me onto my next thought...I am a Christian. A Catholic, to be exact. At university, I have made a lot of new friends, and the majority of them are non-denominational Christians. I love them to bits, but there is one thing we often don't agree on - and that is our beliefs about heaven. They believe that giving your life to Jesus is the only way to get to heaven. And I won't insult that belief, because that is what they believe and I accept that.

By contrast, I have always believed that if you are a wonderful person, living by Christian values, you are ultimately connected to God - because God is love, and you are showing love. However, because I spend so much time with my Christian friends, I have adopted a mindset of judgement that I really don't like. For example, I will see a person who is not Christian, and my mind will automatically think "ooh dear that person has got it wrong." I hate how my thoughts reflect a mindset of superiority.

I want to get rid of this mindset. I want to focus on spreading the love to those who need it, to light up people's days :) I want to stop judging people in my head. Of course I will remain firm in my Catholic beliefs, but I honestly believe if I have a more open, positive mind, I can improve my own life, and that of others :)

"If we give a little love maybe we can change the world"
- Ariana Grande

Pics via weheartit♥

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Courtney, 21 ~ fourth year law student. Lover of the beach, writing, books, painted toes, music with beautiful lyrics, coffee, perfumes, and the ocean❤